Sunday 20 January 2008

Windows Mobile Woes 2

Now, I've had my first forced "Reset" since the upgrade to WM6.

I tried using the XDA to access the Internet via the Wireless Internet
service on the train to London. Connecting was painless: I turned on
Wireless LAN, then told it to list available networks, found the once
for the train and away it went. No problem. Until I tried to turn
the WIreless Internet back OFF again. By analogy with the phone and
GPRS connections, I tried tapping on the little WiFi icon in the
status bar. And up popped a likely looking window, with a link to
control the Wifi connection. Except that the link was to turn wifi
ON. Despite the fact that it was already on. I looked on every
half-plausible menu and "Settings" panel, but could find no trace of
an option to turn off the Wifi. So in the end I had to just reset the
stupid thing.

Great, eh. Well, I guess it did go almost a month without needing to be
reset, so I WM 6 does still seem to have an edge over WM 5, for
reliability at least.

Robert.

No comments: